June 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Faith

Today is a special day. It is exactly 5 years from the day we became parents. 5 years from the morning I awoke, full term, my actual due date, Father's Day 2007. 5 years from the day we went to the hospital, not really thinking I was in labor. 5 years from the day David became a father to our precious baby girl...

Faith Elizabeth


When we first found out we were pregnant, when we first decided we didn't want to find out our baby's gender, I was secretly hoping we would have a girl. Not because I wanted tutus and bows, pink things and dolls (in fact, a girl would mean drama and all these things and more)... I wanted a girl, because I saw something in my husband. I saw how possible it would be for David to be an amazing father to a girl. I knew how special my dad was to me, how special that relationship, how intimate and unique is the balance of tenderness, compassion, patience and encouragement, mixed with a firm set of rules and expectations. There is a very special combination of things, lots of love, lots of open communication that exists between fathers and daughters, something I held dear to my heart and something I knew my husband was capable of. I wanted him to be a dad to a baby girl so he could experience that just like I had.

I will never forget how the doctor had to tell us twice, yes, twice that it was A GIRL. The first time we were just amazed I had labored drug/med free and sort of celebrated the moment. But it is this picture of the two of them which means so much to me. Maybe it is because she looks so safe and comfortable in her Daddy's arms, protected, completely at ease, trusting, and dependent. Or maybe because it is when David said to me "I was scared to have a little girl, because I didn't know what to do with her. But now all I want to do is love and protect her"












 School Celebration

Faith's 5th Birthday Party























He then went on to tell her the 'truths' in life (like where she really came from and how Santa does his job) all so he could never lie to her in the future. (something he did with each of our children).  Im not sure he ever imagined his journey of fatherhood to be filled with 3 girls 1 boy and a set of twins, but that is the joy in trusting in God to guide your heart and your life.

So today we celebrate the day our precious Faith made us parents and my amazing husband was transformed into a Father.

Happy 5th Birthday Faith
Happy Father's Day David

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful post to Faith and to your hubby!