November 19, 2009

Blessings from our munchkin...

Well last night I was supposed to have a fabulous dinner with a friend... enjoy some girl talk, gobble guacamole and then head home for a super cool crash course in Photoshop with this friend's hubby... but that didn't happen and all because we have a toddler...

Faith is amazing and strong and joyful and smart and {I will only stop there because I know you want to hear the story and not me continue on about our amazing blessing}, but she can also be the Lord's precious example of a toddler - in a fit, for no reason, completely inconsolable.

Here is the time line/story:

5:45 arrive home, knowing we have about 30 minutes till we have to leave for dinner. Faith is bubbly and bouncing around, playing with the mess of Christmas decorations and signing Mary Poppins.

Status:all is normal

5:47 {two minutes later} "Mommy I want to go potty" "Okay, let's go" "No I don't want to""Okay""Yes I want to""Okay" and this continues. I continue to not argue and she continues to argue with herself.

Status: on verge of meltdown

5:49 {two minutes later} I am sitting in the hall bath floor watching my 2 year old scream, yell, roll on the floor, kick, hit the floor, stand up, plop down...all in tears. I am saying nothing in hopes this will pass.

Status: Meltdown in full effect.

5:53 I move in a little closer to her thinking I should try to calm her before she throws herself into something that will leave a mark or cause pain

Status: Almost disaster state.

5:55 I resort to grab and holding Faith, thinking I can use special Mommy Powers to calm her hysterical crying Status: I am still in control of the situation

5:56 I am all out of Mommy Powers. I shift into 'protect baby bump from toddler kicking' mode, hold Faith sideways, like an infant, while she tries to push out screaming 'hug me'

Status:survival mode

5:57 I move to hall bath thinking maybe we should try to rest in the corner, soothe her with a confined space, sort of like spacial swaddling if you know what I mean, I was giving up all hope that I was going to calm her.

Status:should we call a professional?

5:58 She pees on me, and her, and the floor, and her Uggs (yes she has them, no I have never owned a pair and these are her 3rd-to which she calls her 'cool boots)

Status:.....

5:59 we are both standing in the bathroom, pant less, calm, smiling and laughing

Status: I love these moments

6:05 dinner is called off, she is noticeably sad, I have re-dressed her and I am in the process of redressing my self, she requests Mary Poppins as she wipes the tears off her face.

Status: Mommy and Faith okay

6:10 Mary Poppins is in, I tell her I am going to go clean up, she says "Mommy, I really really sorry I peed on you" I smile and tell her I love her and I know it was an accident. Too cute. seriously, too cute.

Status: Precious Moments

2 comments:

KFuj said...

Faith is so sweet!

Jocelyn said...

way to go momma...i'm impressed with the way you handled that...so sweet of faith to apologize, she is too too cute!