So when we had Faith, 3 years ago, I was a new mom determined to breastfeed. I close friend gave me the best single line of advice...
"it will hurt like hell at first, hang in there, and it will be better before you know it"
and that is precisely what i did. every time i was sore, every time it hurt or the latch was wrong, every time i would literally hold my breath as Faith latched and visualize my milk letting down in order to relax enough for it to do so, i would keep repeating that one line. then it got better, then it got, well, easy. I was feeding Faith about every 2 hours for the first few months and i was able to cater to whatever need she had, whenever she had it. then i began coaching at a university and i had to nurse on the job (blessed, yes i was, to be able to bring her with me to work) so lets say i had to nurse in public, often, and still look professional. haha, thank you bebe au lait for providing cute ways to nurse in public. bottom line : i was good at it, she was getting what she needed, i felt comfortable, and we stopped after a full year. ta da.
then Isabelle was born
and nursing was soooo much easier. everything went better, i wasn't as sore, she latched wonderfully, and i was master-public-nurser. i can do it anywhere, wearing anything, and still look good (haha)... and so can a lot of you!!!! below are my stories mixed in with yours. many of you had similar stories and only 1 of you topped my craziest nursing experience (in my opinion). before i announce the giveaway winner, i wanted to know your feedback, who do you think had the craziest experience?
locations:
in the car
in the church cry room
in the grocery store
at a wedding
in a plane
baggage claim area
in the mall
in a restaurant
in a tent
in BuyBuyBaby while moms-to-be looked stressed just witnessing the multi-tasking going on
positions:
daddy held the baby, mommy held the boob
(interesting...is this a new form of 'reconnecting' post-baby, sort of a way to get everyone involved)
baby in car seat, mommy(sitting next to) leaning over to position boob while on highway in traffic
(there has to be a law preventing mothers from removing seat belts to squeeze into the small space between child's face and the rear car seat)
baby sitting up in lap(maybe baby is 'too-cool' to lay down)
(this would look hilarious if the baby was under a nursing cover)
eventful ventures:
tandem twin nursing
during 6 wk post-partum exam
bathroom stall nursing
getting locked in lactation room at work
while at court, while being questioned
self expressing, then using an eye drop to feed
in a gas station bathroom stall while older child poops and everyone is singing Old McDonald
self expressing to prevent 'wet-shirt' syndrome
baby trying to drink from fountain of milk, spraying everywhere, instead of latching
while sitting in patio furniture for sale at Target, in discussion with a salesman who didn't know there was a baby under the nursing blanket
receiving communion while nursing
baby unlatching while fountain of milk covers back seat of car


5 comments:
I did the sitting up just last week. Kyle felt he didn't need to sit down, instead he faced me and nursed, under the cover..I was laughing at how silly he was.
I loved when Kyle would lick at the milk as it sprayed his face, classic!
The bathroom everywhere has been done..while peeing too :)However tandem gets my award!!
I say while at court WHILE being questioned is the craziest experience!!
I say the court room one! That's hilarious! Or Target!
I DEFINITELY nursed Caleb in the car MULTIPLE times while Jared drove---or my in laws! He cried so much during car trips that it was at times unbearable....and "Mommy" was the solution to that problem!!! :) I also nursed walking around Target one time....yeah, that was fun! :) Thanks for sharing!
I think the funniest story is positioning the boob while driving through traffic...that one made me bust a gut just picturing it!
I didn't enter the contest because as a new mommy I have no funny stories yet. I will be sure to share as they come available!
Post a Comment