March 13, 2009

Welcome Back to Texas

We are here... phew. Let me just share a small story surrounding our last day in NC...
Wednesday morning, I am expecting a call from the truck driver around 7-7:30am for directions...
9am - driver calls, we come to the consensus he is lost and he knows nothing about getting a shuttle to the storage unit which is at another location 15 minutes away

9:15 - I call David... beg for help since I don't have a computer & I can't use my phone and talk to the driver at the same time

9:30 - David is on my mom's phone, driver's on mine - we determine he has taken the exit 174Z instead of the 174B I directed him to... he should be here in 10 min.
9:45 - locate driver wandering apartment complex... he tells me he hates apartment complexes because he can't park the truck... whatever
9:50 - someone calls to tell me to tell the driver we need to go to the storage unit and load first so we can use the free shuttle over there
9:53 - I tell the driver this, he explains we need
to wait for the other guys to show
10:00 - driver tells me he doesn't know where the other 2 loaders/packers are and i should call someone
10:02 - I call my relocation coordinator and i am put on hold as they show up
10:15 - we all caravan to storage unit

10:30 - arrive at storage where the owner tells the driver he can take the shuttle or, if his truck is empty(which it is) he can try to back the truck down because after all, people have done it before
10:45 - we head down to look at the unit, driver decides it shouldn't be a problem to get the truck down...
11:05 - i sit in the car and watch as the horror show begins...


first - the driver starts to back down and i begin to envision the truck flipping, killing my driver and ultimately delaying our departure while we have to file police reports and wait for another truck
30 minutes later - driver gets out of truck, which is oddly positioned and begins to analyze the mess
20 minutes later - other 2 loaders begin to collect chunks of cement and carpet pieces and other trash to put near wheels (maybe to keep them from rolling)
20 minutes later - the owner of the storage unit drives his little golf cart down and begins to analyze the situation - by this time I am certain I should stay out of the mess, knowing I know absolutely nothing about this.
5 minutes later - owner drives cart up to me.. tells me "you may be here awhile" great "ya, they popped 8 wheels off the ground and can't get enough traction to straighten back out" fabulous.

40 minutes later, 7 chunks of cement, 4 wooden blocks, 3 carpet pieces and most of patience
- driver walks over to tell me he is going to call a tow truck to straighten him out so we don't waste any more time... right...as i drive him to the office he explains he has had a series of bad luck, including his most recent when he drove across a bridge he shouldn't have and was fined almost 15000 dollars but got off with a $80 warning - I try to cheer him up with a "hey maybe your bad luck stops here" (praying I am right)
40 minutes later - tow truck arrives, straightens him out, and leaves, right as my loving driver decides to try again... yet this time he is successful
time the first box was loaded on a truck 1:30 PM
time they left, with everything loaded at both locations: 8:03 PM
time we had dinner : 8:35 PM
flight the next morning: 11:40 AM
time I finally relaxed ... not until the day our stuff arrives

seriously

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I so feel for you. I totally understand the freaking out of watching movers manipulate the big trucks in ways that do not look to by physically possible.

I'll send you all good moving karma!! Glad you are back in Texas, I know the Queen is thrilled to have you close again.

KFuj said...

Wow this is totally crazy! I'm glad you made it safely to TX!

Anonymous said...

but it all got packed up and sent to TEXAS - YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

K, let me get through this week, and then we need our first all-Texas girls time!